MinnesotaWaterfowler

Minnesota's Top Waterfowl Site

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:43 am 
MWF Black Hoodie Pro Staffer

Just figured I would share this, not sure if any of you guys drive these trucks or not. I do and a fix has been long awaited by the F150 community having these issues.

There is a TSB, # 12-6-4, to put a deflector on the intercooler, PCM reflash, and possible catalytic converter replacement. This was just released yesterday. Called my dealer already and they hadn't even heard of it til I brought it to their attention. Which is why I'm putting it out there for anyone having possible issues but hasn't found any info on it.

This TSB is to hopefully address any driveability concerns caused by condensation build up in the intercooler. Twice after long trips with the cruise set in very damp conditions, upon hard acceleration my truck fell flat on its face. Have also had intermittent misfires when the I/C hasn't filled up with enough water to make it completely fall on its face.

Do not turn this into a Chevy/Dodge/Ford thing, just passing on some info for anyone needing it as info has been hard to come by. This is a great engine that rips off the line, pulls like a beast, and has gotten me as high as 25.1 mpg over 50 miles, as high as 22-23 mpg on longer trips. But with all new technology, some of the kinks need to get worked out.

Hopefully this helps somebody out, I know vehicle issues can be frustrating when there is little info out there to research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:33 am 
PHIGS head guide

And why regardless of make it is wise to wait 3 years for them to work out the bugs on new stuff before buying it. Same for software

The legend has left the building...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:46 pm 
Timber Bay Supporting Member

Software is obsolete after 3 years. You are stuck just buying whatever is there when you need a new (insert item here).

As for Ford turbo engines, they've been running them for years over in Europe. They are nothing new. Our rules for things here are different, so I'm sure tweaking needs to be done, but as long as they step up with these TSBs and recalls, it's really not that big of a deal. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Good job to Ford for finally turboing their gas engine trucks (and I'm a Chevy guy). It only makes sense to do so since 90% of the time, you aren't towing anything with your truck to need overly excessive torque on the low end.