MinnesotaWaterfowler

Minnesota's Top Waterfowl Site

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best small duck boat?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:53 pm 
MWF Black Hoodie Pro Staffer

What's the best small motor less duck boat you've ever owned?

Every year I start looking at upgrading equipment. I would love to have a durable little light weight duck boat for one or 2 people. Something one guy can drag or throw on a vehicle. I like low riding duck boats but most seem heavy and the light weight one I just bought needed fiberglass repair when I bought it and will need more this summer. Starting to think small aluminum v hulls, canoes and jon boats are a better option but still love the low profile of an actual duck boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:28 pm 
MNWaterfowler Bluebill

I'd look at either a small jon boat or a pirogue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 pm 
MNWaterfowler Canvasback

Carstens Pintail. And i think the other 4 guys i hunt with would also agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:20 pm 
PHIGS head guide

The Alumacraft "ducker" which is very stable and made of aluminum. If you can find one, be prepared to open up your wallet--literally $2000 or more if you can find one.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... 58&t=72879

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/b ... 68720.html

Here is a repaint for only 1500 - but it is on the east coast. If that was here in MN--that would have been bought as it is a steal compared to what I've seen in MN for prices. This the 4th time he has listed it. http://cgi.ebay.com/Alumacraft-Ducker-D ... 6699575311

I wish Alumacraft would remake this boat design again.

FYI, the Cartens are nice and they have different models/sizes - but they are a lot heavier as they as made of fiberglass. But you can buy them for less than a grand too.

The legend has left the building...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 pm 
MNWaterfowler Family

I have a Carstens puddler (10' long) perfect for small water hunts with a blindbag,some deke's and myself..When I hunt out of It the pooch stays behind,gets a little tight to have a dog with.I'll put this inside my bigger rig and use It to drag gear to out of the way spots or use it as a layout blind In areas with little cover.
It weighs about 60#,easy to load and unload.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:25 pm 

Anyone know what kind of boat Bender's Total Beast is?

HnkrCrash wrote:
Not even sure why people are still talking about this? If you aren't in a duck blind right now you may have already missed out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:44 pm 
MWF Field Editor

^
^
^

I am making a number of those Boats for sale before next Season. For sure I could have sold that boat ten times over in the last few years. It has no tags, and I got it through my Pops who inherited it from His Dad. It is 9'6" long, and weighs only about 50lbs.

I have owned Carstens Boats, and they're tough & durable, but are less stable than mine with their hull design, and heavy. I think they embelish the weight of their Boats. I feel a Puddler weighs more than what they claim. Also mine has a smaller cockpit so I can take waves without having any water come in. The Puddler has a big square cockpit, and I often had water splash in on the corners.

I regularly pull/drag mine a mile or more, and could carry it on a portage the same distance. Paddles great with a Kayak Paddle. I have one that collapses into 2-pieces when I don't need it. I would say without hesitation that is the most valuable Waterfowling Tool I own right up there with my Gun...

The first batch I make will be done with a brown Gel-Coat. Then later I will do green too. These FL Guys want green, but I had always wanted, and have consequently painted mine brown...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:11 pm 
MNWaterfowler Family

What about the mud duck boat? They make one similar to the ducker. Specs on the web site says 130 pounds though. Does anyone konw what one of those mud duck boats cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:21 pm 
MNWaterfowler Family

I absolutely love my Bell Rob Roy.
http://www.bellcanoe.com/products/defau ... &catid=195
I drag it 1/2 mile down into a deep river valley and back out again. It is really stable to shoot out of and hides easily with it's low profile. It's great for paddling rivers or going through the rice. Very light weight. I think mine is 33 pounds. When I bought it, I was concerned about how long I could sit in it, but I found that my bladder is the controlling factor. The only downside is the high price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:25 pm 
MNWaterfowler Redhead

ASk Matt he has a Mud Duck boat. I have been in this boat with three guys a lab and a decoys spread very stable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:08 pm 

The issue I've always had with the Carsten as well as the Mud Duck Boats is weight. Agree with Bender Carstens are a bit heavier than what they say they are. The Mud Duck Boat looks like it could handle just about anything though. Carsten has been around a while that shows how good their boats must be. h20fwlr IMO the Alumacraft Ducker is by far one of the best I've seen but the cost and value of it as a collectable would make me not want to use it. Why someone doesn't re produced those is beyond me? It's light, stable, low and aluminum.

We have a little 12' v hull 1970 Mirrocraft we use for fishing in Canada and some waterfowl hunting. It's not bad for one guy to maneuver around but not a low profile or the easiest to oar or paddle through shallow water. But it was cheap, takes a beating plus I can leave it outside upside down and don't have to worry about the gel coat. Canoes are great and have a 17' square back old town that we beat the day lights out of and it is great for 3 guys, dogs, tons of decoys and gear but it's heavy and not easy for one guy to get around with.

Bender you got any picks of your boat?

Just got this boat last fall and not sure who made it but it is light, low and manoverable. Plus it was cheap. Biggest problem with it is getting use to the nature of real thin fiberglass. Have been use to beating on the old town canoe and aluminum boats now I've got to get more in touch with my sensitive boat handling side with this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:19 pm 

billgilbertson wrote:
When I bought it, I was concerned about how long I could sit in it, but I found that my bladder is the controlling factor.

That's always a factor when I put my waders on is how long am I gunna be able to ignore my full bladder and enlarged prostate.

That's a cool looking boat right there. Not much room for decoys, a dog or gear right?

Wennona has a smaller canoe that's light as a feather but the stability factor for me gets a little scary after having tipped a canoe once duck hunting when I was a bit younger with my dad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 pm 
MWF Field Editor

Here's some. Most valuable Duck Hunting Tool after a Gun to me...

Here's a similar Boat from the Fleet. Longer, and not as wide as the Total Beast. Equally good. Better for taxi-ing to get 2 Guys, or lots of Decoys out to a Spot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:17 pm 
MNWaterfowler Family

So does anyone know the cost of the mud duck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 pm 
MNWaterfowler Family

get-n-birdy wrote:
Not much room for decoys, a dog or gear right?

Wennona has a smaller canoe that's light as a feather but the stability factor for me gets a little scary after having tipped a canoe once duck hunting when I was a bit younger with my dad.

I bought the Rob Roy after I dumped myself into a river in the middle of November from my canoe.

It has enough room for about 15 duck decoys and a goose or 2. Sometimes I bring 6 GWT dekes as they take almost no room. I pack extra clothes & snacks into a taller ammo style plastic box behind the seat.

A down side I should mention is that it is only stable when you are all the way in it. It's hard to get into if it is floating as I've learned when unsuccessfully trying to get into it off a dock. Once in it you really have to try to flip it. I've been out in pretty rough water in the summer and it handles huge waves without issue.

If anyone ever wants to try it, I live across the street from Turtle Lake in Shoreview.

Post subject: Mudduckboats
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:47 am 
MNWaterfowler Greenwing

Not sure what the price is but check out their web site www.mudduckboats.com. contact info is on their.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:10 am 
MNWaterfowler Mallard

I hunt out of an Alumcraft ducker. It is lighter than the Mud Duck boats. It drags okay empty but becomes a chore if you leave deocys and gear inside. Plastic type boats drag easier. I expect the Mud Duck to be a tougher drag, in addition to being heavier the sides are more square. You would have to confirm with someone that owns one though. I looked at one and spoke with the owners a couple years ago, can't remember cost but I think it was similar to a used Ducker.

If I remember correctly, the reason the Ducker production fell off and nobody picked it back up was the high cost of the boat. They used an expensive grade of Aluminum to enable making the bends/curves of the boat. Some prodcution changes on the newer models made them less expensive but also lessened the strength of the decks and the boats appeared cheaper. I have both an early and a late model, hunt out of the later one.

All that being said, if I were in the market I would certainly be looking at the Mud Duck. You may also be able to find a Lund Ducker, they run less than the Alumacraft but are heavier.

A friend of ours has a Puddler, drags easy but we are always wondering if he's going to drown if the wind comes up. Not much free board with him (160#) small dog and a dozen decoys. I think Lumbertick paddled it a few times and he was not impressed. For the mid-size water we hunt a larger size Carstens would be safer. I am paddle challanged and prefer oars :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:37 pm 

Birddog interesting info on the ducker. That is some thin aluminum on the duckers but seems stronger than the kind the Radisson or Sportsmans canoes are made of.

Bender that looks like an interesting sized boat. Looks like its what maybe 40"s wide or more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:02 pm 
MWF Field Editor

Hellbender!!!

9'8" x 36"

4' x 2' Cockpit.

Post subject: Aqua Pod
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 pm 
MNWaterfowler Family

I have for my 1 man layout an AquaPod sport 10' Rotomolded polyethylenin. It only weighs 60 pounds and holds 355, shaped a lot like the ducker. The composit version is only 50 pounds, fiberglass version is heavier, then both.

For the 2 man layout ... I will have to post some pictures soon... still working on the final production.

http://www.midwestoutboard.com
651-276-6988