MinnesotaWaterfowler

Minnesota's Top Waterfowl Site

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:15 pm 
MNWaterfowler Greenwing

I shoot a Benelli Nova (as shown in my "Duck of the Day" posting) but am having a real issue with the Remington Hypersonic Steel shells I just picked up. I have never tried them (only tried two others) but there jamming my gun like crazy. I'm shooting the: 12 gauge, 3" length, 1700 fps (of course), 1 1/8 oz shot shells. Now, I'm also an avid grouse hunter and have been pumping out three different kinds of shells in the last week but these puppies keep jamming me. I have used Kent and Blackcloud shells before trying these out this year with no problem. Anyone else having this problem?

P.S. I love the shells, the pattern out of my gun is tight (tested) and it packs a punch like i'm shooting a deer (love it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:45 pm 
MWF Black Hoodie Pro Staffer

Have you tried cleaning your barrel. If you shoot alot of 2 3/4 inchers they leave alittle residue in the last 1/4 of the chamber then the 3 inches might jam up. Really scrub the chamber good then try it. Alot of shotgun man. are fixing this problem with a rotating bolt like the new rem nitro mag.

If that don't fix it try a diff. box of them from a diff store. Sometimes the brass is alittle oversized on some runs of shells. Ran into that prob with feds a couple times and once with rems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:11 pm 
MNWaterfowler Mallard

winchester drylok all problems are solved. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:33 pm 
MNWaterfowler Mallard

I'm having the exact same issue with the exact same shells! When you shoot, the 2nd shell gets caught in the open action? The extractor pin gets caught under the shell, instead of on the lip of the shell?

It was killing me this weekend. It's a nice patterning shell and has good killing power. First group of ringers comes in and I absolutely crushed the first one, go to pull on the 2nd...nothing. Same exact thing happened on a flock of gadwall. Really chapped my ***. And I'm shooting a Remington 1187 super mag (which I just cleaned before I left for the weekend hunt).

I've put 2 boxes of Kent 3" #3's through it this season with nary a problem. I'm no expert, but I think the hypersonics might have too much juice.

I'm bringing the 2nd box I bought back to Cabela's and loading up on the Kents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:57 pm 
MWF Black Hoodie Pro Staffer

grandquay wrote:
I'm having the exact same issue with the exact same shells! When you shoot, the 2nd shell gets caught in the open action? The extractor pin gets caught under the shell, instead of on the lip of the shell?

It was killing me this weekend. It's a nice patterning shell and has good killing power. First group of ringers comes in and I absolutely crushed the first one, go to pull on the 2nd...nothing. Same exact thing happened on a flock of gadwall. Really chapped my ***. And I'm shooting a Remington 1187 super mag (which I just cleaned before I left for the weekend hunt).

I've put 2 boxes of Kent 3" #3's through it this season with nary a problem. I'm no expert, but I think the hypersonics might have too much juice.

I'm bringing the 2nd box I bought back to Cabela's and loading up on the Kents.

I was having this problem this weekend with the same gun (1187 Super Mag) the second shell in was getting caught, but I was shooting Estate's,not sure what the problem is,,,,,